The Focused Ultrasound Foundation, an entrepreneurial, high-performance, medical research, education and patient advocacy organization in Charlottesville, VA, is seeking a Director of Institutional Giving. The position reports to the Chairman.
This position will amplify the Foundation’s development activities by establishing and growing an institutional giving program, encompassing family offices, wealth management firms, philanthropic advisors, community foundations, corporate foundations and disease foundations.
On the leading edge of venture philanthropy and social entrepreneurship, the Focused Ultrasound Foundation has demonstrated success in accelerating the development and adoption of focused ultrasound, using donor funding to bridge the gap between laboratory research and widespread patient treatment. The Foundation is well-poised to diversify its donor base and utilize new funding sources to exponentially increase the impact of its mission.
- Develop institutional giving strategies, collaborating with the development team and ensuring that strategies incorporate an appropriate mix of giving institutions over time
- Design and execute a program in line with the Foundation’s institutional giving strategies that is appropriately tailored to the Foundation’s dynamic requirements
- Manage institutional grants; write compelling grant proposals, and oversee the production of strong bid packages; independently author and prepare comprehensive funding proposals for institutional awards, integrating appropriate performance measurement and reporting plans and ensuring inclusion of current and relevant research
- Author and customized proposal-related materials in formats well-suited for a variety of donor types
- Identify and cultivate new prospects using focused, customized approaches for institutional donors; represent the Foundation with select external stakeholders to position the Foundation for short- and long-term institutional funding
- Coordinate across the Foundation team for effective, external engagement with new and existing institutional donors.
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least 5 years of experience in development, wealth management, banking, or related field
- Successful track record of establishing relationships based on trust
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite; database management experience
- Passion for focused ultrasound; entrepreneurial, resourceful, and results-oriented
- Experienced, dynamic and team-oriented development professional; compatible with other members of the team
- Superb verbal and written skills; proven project management skills
- Professional presentation and conduct; ability to interact on a peer basis with high net worth individuals, C level executives, and thought leaders
- Cheerful, upbeat, and steady under fire
- Strong track record of securing institutional funding
- Accurate, detail-oriented, and able to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Maintaining a flexible work schedule to ensure deadlines are met is required
- Experience in cultivating and maintaining institutional giving databases a plus
To ensure consideration, send cover letter and resume (as PDF) to